This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole will change your life! Throw everything in your slow cooker and in only 3 hours dinner is served.
Not only is this crockpot enchilada casserole recipe delicious the day you make it, but it makes killer leftovers just like our slow cooker honey garlic chicken.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Please tell me that your mouth is watering just looking at the photos of this slow cooker chicken enchilada casserole!
It’s true that we love quick and easy recipes here on Fit Foodie Finds. We also LOVE tex-mex recipes. So when we were brainstorming recipes to make in the slow cooker, we knew that we had to make a chicken enchilada casserole recipe.
things we love about this recipe
- We used minute brown rice instead of regular rice.
- You have an option to use homemade enchilada sauce or store bought enchilada sauce (we love Frontera Enchilada Sauce).
- The vegetables in this recipe are super basic. Peppers and onions. However, you are more than welcome to throw in your favorite veggies. More peppers or perhaps some mushrooms? The sky is the limit!
- Chicken breast: chicken breast is affordable and easy to find. Feel free to use chicken breast or chicken thighs for this recipe.
- Minute rice: we used brown minute rice but feel free to use white, too.
- Bell peppers: a variety of colors is fun and gives the dish color, but if you can only find green bell peppers, that’s ok.
- Enchilada sauce: feel free to use homemade enchilada sauce or store bought enchilada sauce.
homemade enchilada sauce
If you have all the ingredients at home, try making this homemade enchilada sauce. It’s so flavorful and easy to store in the refrigerator.
- Place all ingredients for the chicken enchilada casserole into your slow cooker. Mix well and make sure chicken and rice are submerged under all wet ingredients.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours OR cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove chicken from the slow cooker and cut into small chunks. Place back into your slow cooker and mix.
- Serve with Greek yogurt, avocado, cheese, or any topping of your choice!
Yes, chicken thighs will add a bit more flavor and richness to this recipe.
You can add mushrooms, corn, or any other vegetables that you generally like in your enchiladas.
We love to serve our chicken enchilada casserole with tortilla chips, cheese, and guacamole.
What do I eat with my Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas?
The day you make this enchilada bake, I would serve it right out of the slow cooker and top it with some greek yogurt, lime juice, and cilantro. However, you can only eat so much casserole in one week. We’ve brainstormed some other ways you can eat this slow cooker chicken enchilada recipe.
Chicken Enchilada Nachos- On day two or three of meal prepping this enchilada bake, throw some tortilla chips onto a baking sheet and sprinkle your enchilada bake over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Buddha Bowl- Warm up your casserole and serve it next to our pineapple coleslaw and some arugula or kale. Top it with a little cotija cheese and you’re golden!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Burrito- Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Throw your chicken enchilada casserole into a big tortilla, throw in some cheese, perhaps add a splash of your favorite hot sauce and wrap up a couple burritos for the week.
There is no better kitchen appliance than a slow cooker. If you’re in need of a new slow cooker, we love our Crock Pot.
Store this enchilada casserole in an airtight container after it is completely cool. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans strained and rinsed
- 2 cups minute brown rice
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper chopped
- 1/2 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups enchilada sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Frank’s hot sauce or apple cider vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1 cup water
Place all ingredients for the chicken enchilada casserole into your slow cooker. Mix well and make sure chicken and rice are submerged under all wet ingredients.
Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours OR cook on low for 6-8 hours.
When the chicken is fully cooked, remove chicken from the slow cooker and cut into small chunks. Place back into your slow cooker and mix.
Serve with Greek yogurt, avocado, cheese, or any topping of your choice!
Tips & Notes
- The spiciness of this dish depends on how spicy your enchilada sauce is.
- We have only tested this recipe specifically with minute brown rice and no other grains.
- Feel free to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water at the end for a saucier casserole.
Calories: 347kcal Carbohydrates: 48g Protein: 33g Fat: 5g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 5g